Tuesday, December 29, 2009

My Keeper

I watched the movie, My Sister's Keeper ,and the little girl had no control over her body. Neither did the lawyer who stood up for her. Some things in life we do not choose, as in what family or country we are born into, or operations.Sometimes things are forced upon us for reasons we do not understand. Without a mom, I learned to be independent. By being in and out of hospitals, I learned to take care of others before myself.

In and out of hospitals as a child I could tell you almost every doctor and what floor they helped on. I could give diabetic needles and help someone on and off a wheelchair. My pappaw was in the later stages of his life when I came into his life. Diabetes was a common word I heard growing up. Strict diets along with a strict grandpa were also there. He never really said much but when he did, he said it for a reason. Everyone loved my pappaw, because he was hard on people and pushed them to do their best. He never complained during any of the numerous operations he encountered over his life. He kept seeing what else he could do to help others like my dad and me. I learned that lesson from him. I also learned some things in life we have on control over...like cancer.

Watching this movie and my pappaw's death made me realize I cannot control some events in life. Be content with what you have and do the best with what you have. Heard it before I know but it doesn't really hit home until something drastic happens in your life. His death made me see people for their soul and not their body. It really is only temporary. Kind of like God is letting us rent it out, and if we take care of what is inside then we get our money back (heaven). I am not afraid of death or cancer. Things happen in life that we cannot prevent and are inevitable. Carpe Diem.

The last thing my grandpa said to me was, "Good girl." He was paralyzed, could barely speak, and we all knew he was near the end. He uttered those words for a reason. When he spoke; he spoke with purpose. My pappaw is still to this day watching out for me. because whenever I face a tough decision the words he said to me come back. It reminds me of who I am and what I stand for. No one wants to have a broken heart. No one wants a loved one to pass away. No one wants loneliness, fear, or hatred, but no matter our limitations in life...we all live this crazy thing called life.

No comments:

Post a Comment